Thursday, May 27, 2010

OBD2 Android App

Here is a great project I've found on the interwebs.  I've been looking for a program like this for my Android phone since I picked up my G1 in Oct, 08.  Unfortunately I've never been able to find an app for Android like this one so this guy is really hitting a good market here.  

It looks like it just the next few days we'll have an updated application to play around with and test.  Good thing for me that I've updated to the latest Cayanogen ROM for my Android phone.  The reason being is that unfortunately this application will only work on Android 2.1 and up due to the new Bluetooth protocols this operating system implements.

I've also found the Bluetooth module that you would need to make this work for about $50!  I'll have to post up a link to buy that product later because I can't seem to place my finger on it right now.  You can also check out the developers pages and get the correct model of Bluetooth chip that you will need to make this work with your Android app.

Here's a great example of some older similar product that doesn't have software for the iPhone or any Android.  I tried to contact the President when I originally purchased my Android phone to try to convey to him how cool his product was and that the market for Android would be huge very soon.  Sadly they still only list software for older phone systems like Blackberry, Palm, and Windows Mobile.  

Check out Brad Hein's main page here at GTOSoft and here is a link to his blog for updates GTOSoft Blog


No comments:

Post a Comment