Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Cincy Talker Eric Deters Gets New Home

From John Kiesewetter's, Media Blog at cincinnati.com
Attorney Eric Deters, who was fired last week by WLW-AM, returns to the airwaves 6-8 p.m. Monday on WQRT-AM, “Real Talk 1160.”  He says he will do evenings for a while, with a promise of moving to 9 a.m.-noon.

Deters was dropped from WLW-AM’s Memorial Day weekend lineup  after posting a video blog May 26 on Facebook saying: “If you want to conquer an African nation, send white women and pot.” Deters removed the video quickly last week. He called it “an embarrassing thing… Sometimes you say things you wish you didn’t say… and this is one of them.”

Deters had been Bill Cunningham’s back-up, and a weekend host on “The Big One” for more than a year. 

He was also the full-time 9 p.m.-midnight host October-December, after 700 fired Eddie Fingers and moved new night guy Doc Thompson to late mornings. Deters also says he was not paid by the station while working seven days a week last year.

Real Talk 1160, which has former WLW-AM “SportsTalk” host Andy Furman in morning drive, “is excited. They want me! They think I’ve got talent!  It’s nice to be wanted! It’s nice to be paid!”

Here is Deters’ announcement:
I’m happy to announce I’ve accepted a deal with 1160 Real Talk. It will be a full-time gig, and I have a great financial package. It will also allow me to continue my full-time law practice. I’ll begin Monday at a 6-8 p.m. time slot. My first guest will be Chris Smitherman, President of the Cincinnati NAACP.

1160 Real Talk is a great opportunity for me to not only expand my radio work, but I believe will be a platform for my dream of a national show. They do not have the watts of 700 WLW, but in this deal, smaller is better for me.

Real Talk has made me feel very welcome. Talks began to (the) day after I was fired by 700 WLW. My format will be the same as I did at 700 WLW. I’ll weave Topic A — local/national with my love of history, storytelling and current events.

All my shows will be webcast and podcast. My daily blogs will be posted. Their website will be overhauled to accommodate Bulldog Nation. I am looking forward to working with Andy Furman and the entire Real Talk team led by Jamey Schleue, the station manager.

I promise witty and wise radio superbity.
Read More.

No comments:

Post a Comment