Friday, December 17, 2010

Product Review: Wow Fiesta WF210

FEATURES AND FUNCTIONS
  • 2 wired mics (mic1 and mic2 has separate volume control)
  • WOW Philippines videos and pictures
  • Lightweight & Portable -- unit weighs only 250g
  • Song Search Function (Search by OPM or English / Search by first letter of the song title)
  • Adjustable mic & music volumes, tempo, echo, key, melody
  • Reserve function - reserve up to 99 songs
  • Favorite function - save up to 99 favorite songs
  • MIDI effect function - Disco, Jazz, Stadium, Classic, Normal
  • 3 songchip slots
  • SD Card Function - Play videos and mp3. Upload pictures too.
Wow Fiesta WF210

BASIC PACKAGE
  • Main unit
  • Remote control
  • Carry bag
  • Song book
  • Two wired mics
  • Power adaptor
  • AV Cable
USER REVIEW

Date and Place of Purchase: September 5, 2010, Automatic Center, Alabang Festival Mall
Price: Php 5,999.00

Pros:
  •  Very portable. Synthetic leather carrying bag that comes with the package provides ease of carrying the unit. The bag provides organized space for the main unit, two wired mics, user manual and song book, power adaptor, av cable and remote control.
  • Picture quality is fine. Background video featuring tourist spots, events and wildlife of the Philippines is very appealing to the eyes.
Screen Capture of WF210 on LG LCD tv
  • Built in 2000 songs (1200 English and 800 OPM) are more than enough to satisfy Saturday and Sunday family videoke sessions. Three more slots are available for expansion music chips (if 2000 songs is still not enough for you).
  • Melody volume is adjustable and four MIDI effect is available to choose from.
  • Songs are licensed. So it means you are helping the music industry specially the OPM industry. 
Cons:
  • The 2 wired mics that they throw away free with the unit is really a throw away. Sound quality of the microphone is not good. I guess it is not a unidirectional microphone as it can only be used by singing/speaking directly on top of it. The wire design that is detachable from the base of the mic is another flaw as it sends clicks when it is moved while you are using it. I solved this by purchasing a Sony microphone that costs around Php500.
  • There is no volume levelling. Some MIDI videoke song is loud and some is faint, so you have to constantly adjust the volume depending on the song.
  • The power adaptor perished after three months, with the fact that we only use it on weekends for about 1-2 hour per day. I dont have the time to tinker with it so I solved it by purchasing a universal power adaptor for around Php769. I just see to it that the ampere rating of the power supply is the same as what is needed by the unit which is 12V 1A DC. This power adaptor failure could just be an isolated case and may not hold true to all their units. When I have the time I'll check out the power adaptor and update this page.

My Wow Fiesta with a non-stock power adaptor 12V 1000mA DC
  • Absolutely no after sales support. When the power adaptor failed I tried to claim for warranty. When I checked the manual, it says that I have to register my product on http://www.wowvideoke.com/warranty. When I surfed the page they are mentioning, the wesite says that the page is Wow! Not Found! :) I tried variants of the address like ../warranty.php .../warranty/ and .../warranty.html but still no luck. I tried to email them on the address mentioned on the user manual customerservice@wowvideoke.com and up to now I never heard from them. There's a hotline number listed on the manual also but I did not bother to call since I figured out its much less hassle to just replace the power adaptor myself.

Screen Capture of http://www.wowvideoke.com/warranty
DEFECTIVE POWER SUPPLY (Update: October 2011) 
     I finally found the time to try to repair the failed power adaptor that came with the unit. The power adaptor is not easy to open as it has no screws that holds it together. It is basically clipped on together but with a little adhesive applied. So after quite sometime I managed to open it. Then I found that the problem is just a disconnected wire that goes from the circuit board to one of the prongs of the power adaptor's male plug. I soldered the wire to the prong and when I plugged it in, voila! It now works again.

SONGBOOK (Update: November 2011)
     I have also experienced having a songbook with missing pages. Torn by constant use and hurriedly flipping trough the pages. So I have searche the internet for the Wow Fiesta WF210 Songbook. Luckily I have found the songlist provided by wowvideoke support. The songlist file was provided as a microsoft excel file. But then when I look at the file it was arranged by songnumber instead of the usual alphabetically arranged songlist. So I decided to edit the songlist and arrange it by the song title. I have also deleted the column for composers because we dont normally look at them when searching for a specific song to sing. I arranged the songlist in a layout that is comfortable to look at. You can download the WF210 English and OPM songlist on my google docs account. I have provided the links below. In case you want the excel version of the songlist as provided by wowvideoke support, you can download it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment