Monday, November 23, 2009

Sony Online Service − More App Store Validation

Last week Sony announced an upcoming service to link their devices to a store filled with Sony content and downloadable apps.  Another move by a big media player suggesting the success of devices and platforms lies in their relationship to social content and applications in addition to traditional programming. 



Behavior and expectations have been changed forever and consumers now demand choice, control, and convenience from their media devices.  When they can’t get it from one platform, they migrate to another that seamlessly delivers what they want.



These moves confirm what those of us working in the ITV space have suspected for many years.  People want to engage with relevant content more deeply in a way that is simple, immediate, and contextual.  I’m watching my favorite TV show but wondering what the weather will be tomorrow.  Can I just push a button and get the answer now?  I’m participating in an on-line auction.  Do I have to sit at my computer to monitor the action?  Can I get notified no matter what device I’m using?  More and more the consumer is opting for devices that offer a connected experience that makes these types of features possible.



I was interviewed last Friday by Simon Applebaum for Tomorrow Will Be Televised, and offered thoughts on app stores for TV.  Listen and let me know what you think.



M. Ellen Dudar

Chief Product Officer

No comments:

Post a Comment